Thursday, September 6, 2012

A poem for my son as he heads for The Crucible

Did You Know

When you awoke this morning to begin the crucible

Did you know I walked every step with you that was possible?
When you humped all those miles over rough terrain,
Did you know I was by your side again?
When your rations were low and your belly was hungry,
Did you know that I wished it wasn't you but instead it was me?
When your feet ached and blistered from stress,
Did you know that I was carrying you deep in my chest?
When you were tired and sore and almost ready to fall,
Did you realize I would have carried it all?
When you had little sleep and your eyes were red,
Did you know I would have given you my bed?
When you had to push and pull for that extra mile,
Did you know that I was so proud and so tall, with such a big smile?

When you went to bootcamp, I went to one too,
It's the one where mom's worry over all you go through.
I couldn't eat dessert, knowing that you had no treats,
I felt quilty for wanting a pedicure, when you had tired feet.
I anguished over ever tough moment, I thought you had
I cried when I missed you, I cried when I was sad
I cried over your letters, that declared your love for "Mom"
I cried over thinking about the day you would come home.
I cringed if I thought someone was yelling at you
Even though I knew it's waht they had to do.
I lost sleep just wondering how you are
I prayed and thought and even wished upon a star.

Now your almost through and soon you will be
One of The Few The Proud, a New MARINE
I get an Honor too for going through the bootcamp for Mom's
I get to hug you and hold you in my arms
I get to see how handsome you really are
I get my bright shining star
No I don's get a medal or a pin to wear
I don't get to sport that awesome Marine Hair
My reward is one that can't be seen
It's called "Being the Mom of a U.S. Marine."

No comments: